2011 Chapter Global Community Building Award Recipient and 2011 Ethel Palmer Clarke Founder's Award for Chapter Excellence Recipient
Kappa Tau Chapter #257
University of Vermont
Burlington, Vt., USA
In Kappa Tau’s programs this year, they have reached out to nurses to build a global network that spreads knowledge and professional development. This award recognizes and celebrates this hard work. Kappa Tau Chapter is one of the most active chapters in Region 15, with more than 10 programs this year for their members and nurses. Kappa Tau uses a wide variety of media such as their website, Facebook, e-mail, printed materials and various displays to communicate with members. The chapter communication is used to promote chapter membership, maintain contact with current members, inform members of coming events and reach out to new members. Kappa Tau has been very visible in the local community sponsoring joint events and at an international level, where they support nursing students for their work in Bangladesh and Australia. As a result of their communication efforts, Kappa Tau has increased their membership and both the chapter’s and STTI’s visibility.
2011 Chapter Key Award Recipient
Kappa Tau is also the recipient of the 2011 Chapter Key Award. See tips below for completing the Chapter Key Award spreadsheet from Julie Jones, Author of Kappa Tau's 2011 Chapter Key Award.
View their successful Chapter Key Award Entry
- Start Now!
- Develop a strategic vision for your chapter based on the Chapter Key Criteria. Put your strategic vision on the back of every board agenda to make sure that you are covering the specific key criteria you want your chapter to focus on.
- Develop a survey. Email your members a survey based on some of the key criteria. The survey was one of our greatest tools.
- Develop a Taskforce to help review and plan out the Key award.
- Review criteria updates such as Leadership criteria 1 and 2 updated: Implemented or maintained leadership intern/mentorship program.
- Use your resources available to you such as the Application Instruction Guide and Online Submission Process Guide. Consult with your Regional Coordinator, STTI staff, and attend CKA Webinars.
- Know the criteria. Make sure you read the question thoroughly. About 75% of people did not correctly answer the question on Member participated in STTI online communities (Community criteria 1) - You can only answer this question if your chapter members participate in only the ones listed: http://www.nursingsociety.org/communities/communities/Pages/index.aspx
- Be specific. Make sure to add dates and names, answer the question, and give lots of detail!
"If you want to really learn about the Chapter Key Award contact your Regional Coordinator to be a judge for the award. Then you really get to review all the different awards and how you might do better next time. Don’t give up. Our first time, we did not receive it but we applied again and not only did we get the award, we were able to achieve the Ethel Palmer Clarke Award for Chapter Excellence." Julie Jones, Kappa Tau Chapter