Guidelines for Chapter Awards and Recognition
I. Purpose of Awards and Recognitions
The purpose of awards is to recognize outstanding nurses and members whose contributions fulfill the goals of STTI.
- An active member of STTI (for most of the awards)
- GPA (when students are involved)
- Peer/faculty recognition
- Endorsement and support from nursing and/or community leaders (if appropriate)
B. Types of Awards and Criteria
Some chapters may choose go give awards in one or more categories. Examples of possible chapter awards are, but are not limited to:
- Awards for Excellence in Research
- Conducts distinguished research in nursing.
- Communicates nursing research findings.
- Writes scholarly works related to nursing theory and/or nursing research.
- Gives evidence of a history of nursing research activities.
- Encourages research activities within STTI, nursing and/or the public.
- Awards for Excellence in Education
- Demonstrates excellence in teaching.
- Advances the science of nursing through clarifying, refining and/or expanding the knowledge base of nursing.
- Promotes a theory/research base for nursing curricula and nursing practice.
- Influences scholarly development in nursing education, practice, and/or research through teaching.
- Influences the professional practice of nursing and the public’s image or nursing through excellence in teaching.
- Awards for Excellence in Nursing Practice
- Demonstrates breadth of knowledge in area of clinical nursing practice.
- Develops creative approaches to nursing practice that contribute to quality client care.
- Possesses clinical expertise and attributes of a clinical scholar.
- Advances the scope and practice of nursing.
- Serves as mentor/preceptor that inspires peer’s practice of nursing.
- Enhances the image of nursing through nursing practice.
- Participates in community affairs, legislation, or organizations that affect nursing practice.
- Awards for Leadership
- Receives local, national and/or international recognition as a nursing leader in education, practice, administration and/or research
- Influences leadership in nursing through visionary and innovative approaches to leadership.
- Creates an environment that enhances the image on nursing/nurses.
- Participants in the development of nursing leaders and leadership.
- Awards for Outstanding Student Performance Areas
- May include clinical, academic, creative, research, leadership, etc.
- Awards for Mentorship
- Actively shapes and promotes the career of a nurse or the development of a chapter.
- Freely shares our own resources for the growth and development of the individual or the chapter.
- Maintains the mentoring relationship over time.
IV. Selection – (Judges, Awards Committee)
- Nominations are invited from any active member of the chapter at least four months before final selection date. Invitation shall be publicized in chapter newsletter mailing to members.
- Nominations are due (establish date), three months before final selections.
- Letter from nominee agreeing to be nominated accompanies nomination (optional).
- A standard application will be available and include sections to list supporting data for various criteria, CV outline (establish date), deadline to submit completed application six weeks before final selection date.
V. Notification and Publicity
- A selection committee will consist of three appointed chapter members, one of whom is or has been in a chapter leadership position. Committee should be appointed by chapter officers as soon as possible following election.
- Selection committee shall review nominations and rate candidates on criteria listed.
- Final selection shall be on the basis of total points in rating. Recommendations for nominees will be made to the Board of Directors.
- Candidates should be notified by letter of the decision by the committee prior to public release of information. This is the responsibility of the president or appointed representative.
- Selection of candidates should be published in chapter and campus newsletters and local media.
- Presentation of the awards should be at a chapter ceremony, when feasible, (i.e. induction, program, annual meeting, luncheon or banquet, etc)
- Examples of appropriate recognition items include:*
- Certificate (available from STTI)
- Certificate and pocket-plaque (available from STTI)
- Certificate in presentation folder (available from STTI)
- Plaque (available from Headquarters)
- Gifts – i.e., jeweled key, jewelry, crystal ornament, gift boxed stationery, etc.
- Books or a subscription to WORLDviews on Evidence-Based Nursing
- Check – may be designated for class fees, program registration, etc. or may not be designated
- Chapter Mentor Award engraved crystal obelisk (available from STTI)
VII. Suggestions for Preparation and Judging Nominations for Awards
- Judges review the quality of the presentation and the documentation rather than their personal knowledge of the nominee. They judge the data submitted, not the general esteem of the nominee.
- CVs are viewed as background resource material rather than the “primary case presentation.” There may be many entries with impressive CVs. A presentation that presents curriculum vitae and few supporting documents is inadequate.
- Winning nominations reflect a wide area of support and ordinarily include letters from leaders throughout the area. Nominations are more impressive when they include letters from people inside and outside nursing and describe the nominee’s unique contributions. Presentations including copies of publicity, awards and other recognitions of achievement also are more positive. When more people are involved in presentation of data to support the nominee, the awards program is more successful in its purpose to bring attention to the achievements of nursing leaders to a broad group of people.
- The quality of the presentation is a primary factor in selection of winners. Again, judges evaluate the data presented and compare it with data presented for other candidates.
*Refer to the Catalog of Chapter Products for recognition items available from STTI
Additional information on Awards
Chapter Key Awards
Showcase of Regional Excellence