Each chapter is a group of nurse scholars and leaders recognized for their superior achievement, leadership qualities, high professional standards and commitment to the profession of nursing.
Requirements for Selecting Members
- Chapters are required to select and induct members a minimum of one time annually.
- Chapters are required to follow the Sigma Theta Tau International bylaws, including the eligibility criteria.
Membership Eligibility Criteria
Membership can be conferred in one of the following membership categories
- Professional--Nurse Leader
- Candidates for membership in the student category must be enrolled in the university or institute of higher education where the chapter is located to be considered for membership.
- A student who attends a university or institute of higher education that does not have a chapter may be considered for membership by another chapter.
- Graduates of baccalaureate and master's nursing programs may be considered under the student criteria for up to one year following graduation provided they met specific membership criteria while a student. This policy refers only to students who were unaware of their eligibility and did not make application while a student.
*Students in graduate programs who meet Nurse Leader criteria shall be eligible to be considered as a nurse leader at any point in the program.
Guidelines and Resources