LEADER Model Resources
Learn how to identify and develop future leaders within your chapter today!
Chapter leaders are integral volunteers within the framework of an Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) chapter. Leaders guide and support a chapter ensuring it fulfills its mission and goals.
Each letter within the model stands for one of the necessary steps in leadership succession planning. Each letter is accompanied with links to surveys, templates, webcasts and other succession planning tools and resources:
- Learn: The following resources will help chapter leaders discover which members are interested in serving in a formal leadership role.
- Educate: The following resources will help leaders educate prospective leaders about the various officer positions.
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of each leadership position by utilizing the Officer Job descriptions.
- Introduce prospective leaders to the many resources available
- Ask: Many members are willing to take leadership roles, but often wait for an indication that their chapter needs them to serve. There are resources available to help members recognize their potential abilities and contributions:
- Develop: After potential leaders have been elected to office it is necessary to have a successful leadership transition:
- Share positive and negative experiences of chapter leadership with new leaders —Utilize the Reflections document, as well as the Changing of the Guard document to help facilitate this process.
- Empower: It is the responsibility of the outgoing chapter leaders to empower the new leadership team:
- Have outgoing officers serve in a consulting capacity and make recommendations to the leadership team when requested. Use the State of the Chapter template as a starting point for these discussions.
- Recognize: Recognize the unique talents and skills of the incoming chapter leaders and use these to plan for the future.
- Spend time with new leaders collecting feedback from members about chapter operations and activities by utilizing the Member Satisfaction Survey.
- Analyze and implement feedback when setting future goals to create a strategic plan for the chapter — Reference the Strategic Planning template.
Listen to chapter leaders talk about their personal leadership experiences and learn more about the stages of succession planning.
People Power Unlimited — This website, developed by Cynthia D'Amour, is an interactive site developed specifically as a resource for chapter leaders.