Periodically, chapters conduct surveys to assess member satisfaction, evaluate events and programs and learn what is most important to members. To support these efforts, STTI has compiled a few resources and templates that may be helpful as chapters develop the best surveying strategies.
Online surveys have become the most accessible and user-friendly surveying tools available. Though we recognize that there are innumerable options available, STTI headquarters has provided a short list of survey tools that other chapters have utilized:
Building a survey
Most online survey tools have tutorials, tips and suggestions that will help the user develop the strongest type of survey. STTI also developed a few tips to consider when surveying chapter membership:
- Define the purpose of the survey and the expected outcome
- Identify the target audience(s)
- Obtain a current chapter roster from the Chapter Management System to get an idea of how many people will be surveyed and how to contact each person.
- Develop a communication plan to inform the target audience(s) of where, how and why the survey should be completed
- Determine how the survey data will be used and how it will be reported back to members
- Provide intended audience(s) with information about how long the survey will take or how many questions it is
- Send the survey link out to intended audience(s) via email
- Post survey link on the chapter's website and/or social networking site
- Include an incentive to members who complete the survey (i.e., entered into a drawing)