Bylaws 101 for Developing Honor Societies
What is a...?
Bylaw: The governing statement defining chapter structure and operations. Bylaws are designed to be non-specific in nature. They outline the laws of the organization, rules for management, operation of groups, and the duties and responsibilities of members and leaders.
Guideline: A resource created by the International Governance Committee that helps leaders utilize the chapter bylaws.
Policy: The chapter's interpretation of a bylaw describing how the chapter puts the bylaw into action. A policy cannot be in conflict with the bylaw.
Procedure: A detailed description of the process supporting a specific policy. A procedure cannot be in conflict with the bylaw.
STTI utilizes three sets of bylaws:
- Governing document of the STTI organization.
- Delegates vote on changes to International Bylaws at the House of Delegates sessions at Biennial Convention every other year.
- STTI Board of Directors approves an adaption of the International Bylaws for developing the Honor Society Bylaws Template and Chapter Bylaws Template.
Honor Society Bylaws
- Developing honor societies are provided the Honor Society Bylaws template and guidelines.
- Honor societies that intend to apply for chapter status are expected to adopt and follow the honor society bylaws as their general framework for honor society governance and operations throughout the honor society and chapter development process.
Honor Society Bylaws Guidelines -- Yellow highlighted areas indicate the only areas of the bylaws that may be modified. No other sections may be altered without the express consent of the STTI Governance Committee. Links provide guidelines for proper interpretation of the bylaws.
Honor Society Bylaws Template -- Contains fill-in-the-blank lines for honor societies to insert their information. Items may be added only in the sections identified in the Honor Society Bylaws Guidelines. The most current honor society bylaws template will be submitted with the Chapter Charter Application.
Membership Guidelines -- Assists developing honor societies with the interpretation of STTI's membership eligibility criteria as stated per bylaws.
Differences Between 3 Bylaws Sets - Read this document to see how the honor society bylaws differ from the chapter and international bylaws
How to Complete and Adopt Honor Society Bylaws
- Model chapter bylaws and guidelines are provided as a general framework to official chapters for chapter governance and activities for the biennium.
- Developing honor societies do not utilize Chapter Bylaws until AFTER the Chapter Charter Application is officially approved.
- Chapters that intend to add a school of nursing and become at-Large will use the chapter bylaws template to create proposed at-Large chapter bylaws. The proposed at-Large bylaws will be submitted with the Chapter Charter Amendment Application. The chapter adding the school of nursing will continue to operate under their current, adopted chapter bylaws until the amendment application is approved and the chapter is re-chartered.