Phase 1: Best on Board: Essentials of Healthcare Governance
This is an online, self-study program available through the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International's (STTI's) online distributor, Nursing Knowledge International. By blending your clinical expertise with the information offered through this six-module online course, you’ll be prepared for success.
Best on Board provides governance education, testing, and certification for nurses to assist them in gaining essential, specialized knowledge and skills needed to serve on a board of directors.
The Best on Board course
may be taken at your convenience; however, completion is a prerequisite for Phase 2, which is the Board Leadership: Passion, Preparation & Power seminar.
- The healthcare environment and the board's fiduciary role
- Mission, strategy, and stakeholders
- Quality and patient safety
- The board/CEO relationship
- Governance and leadership effectiveness
Phase 2: Board Leadership: Passion, Preparation & Power
Harness your passion for board service and leadership through this hands-on experience, where you will develop strategies for getting placed on boards. Learn how to evaluate for-profit and not-for-profit boards, as well as gain in-depth knowledge regarding essential functions of a board and its members.
- Nurses & Board Leadership: The Importance of Your Voice
- Board Leadership: What Are Organizations Looking For?
- Know Thyself: What Do You Have to Offer?
- The Nuts & Bolts: Board Structure
- The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly: Board Case Studies
- Exploring Boards: What Should You Look For?
- Your Skills + Right Board = A Great Fit
- Making Your Mark: Preparation Equals Opportunity
Program begins at 1 PM ET on Tuesday, 22 April 2014 & runs through 1 PM ET on Thursday, 24 April 2014. Breakfasts and lunches included on Wednesday, 23 April and Thursday, 24 April 2014.
Phase 3: Webinars
These individualized mentoring webinars will enable you to customize and develop a personalized approach to board membership. Five webinars will be offered through December 2014.
- Develop the skills to analyze a board for potential membership.
- Create a personal strategy for joining a board.
- Cultivate a professional network.
"Very few nurses serve on boards of health care organizations. By bringing nurses to the board room you are essentially bringing the voice of the patient to the table. Get a good hospital board together and you can change the world.”
EdD, RN, FAAN
Co-founder & CEO
Best on Board
Roy L. Simpson
DNP, RN, DPNAP, FAAN
Vice President, Nursing,
If you have questions about the program, contact the International Leadership Institute at firstname.lastname@example.org