Resources for Boards and Board Members
BOOKS, ARTICLES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Boardsource. BoardSource Governance Series Kit. (2003). BoardSource.
- Dees, J.G., J. Emerson, P. Economy. Enterprising Nonprofits: A Toolkit for Social Entrepreneurs. John Wiley Sons, 2001.
- Carver, J. (1997). Boards that Make a Difference. (Second Ed.) Jossey-Bass.
- Carver, J. (2002). Corporate Boards That Create Value: Governing Company Performance from the Boardroom. Jossey-Bass.
- Chait, R.P., Holland, T.P., and Taylor, B.E. (1996). Improving the Effectiveness of Governing Boards. Oryx Press.
- Chait, R.P., W.P. Ryan and B.E. Taylor. Governance as Leadership: Reframing the Work of Nonprofit Boards. Board Source, 2005.
- Eadie, D. (2001). Extraordinary Board Leadership: The Seven Keys to High-Impact Governance. Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- Light, D.K. and K.S. Pushor. (2002). Into the Boardroom: How to Get your First Seat on a corporate Board. Beaver's Pond Press.
- McBride, A.B. (2000) Nursing and Philanthropy: An Energizing Metaphor for the 21st Century. Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Nadler, D.A. Building Better Boards. Harvard Business School Publishing, HBR article #R0405G.
- Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly
- Panel on the Nonprofit Sector: Strengthening Transparency, Governance, Accountability of Charitable Organizations. A final report to Congress and the Nonprofit Sector, June 2005. Available from Board Source.org
- Salamon, L. (1999). America's Nonprofit Sector: A Primer [2nd Edition]. New York: The Foundation Center.
- Scott, K.T (2001). Creating Caring and Capable Boards: Reclaiming the Passion for Active Trusteeship. Jossey-Bass.
- Smith, D.H. (1995). Entrusted: The Moral Responsibilities of Trusteeship. Indiana University Press.
- Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations.
- Widmer, C. and S. Houchin. (2000). The Art of Trusteeship: The Nonprofit Board Member’s Guide to Effective Governance. Jossey-Bass.
ORGANIZATIONS AND WEBSITES (United States)
ORGANIZATIONS AND WEBSITES (Canada)
ORGANIZATIONS AND WEBSITES (International)
- International Society for Third-Sector Research. http://www.istr.org/
- Transatlantic Community Foundation Network. A network of community foundations in Canada, the U.S. and Europe which pool intellectual resources and share innovative approaches. http://www.tcfn.efc.be/
INTERNATIONAL ISSUES IN NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS
- Anheier, H.K. and J. Kendall (Eds.) (2001). Third Sector Policy at the Crossroads: An International Nonprofit Analysis. Routledge.
- Glassie, J.C. (1999). International Legal Issues for Nonprofit Organizations. American Society of Association Executives (ASAE).
- Ilchman, W.F., S.N. Katz., E.L. Queen and W.Warren (Eds.) (1998). Philanthropy in the World’s Traditions. Indiana University Press.
- Salamon, L.M., et. al. Global Civil Society: Dimensions of the Nonprofit Sector. Johns Hopkins University Institute for Policy Studies.
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation. Blurred Boundaries and Muddled Motives: A World of Shifting Responsibilities” at www.wkkf.org.
GLOSSARIES OF GOVERNANCE TERMS
NONPROFIT GOVERNANCE ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION RESOURCES
- BoardSource (1999). Self-Assessment for Nonprofit Governing Boards: User’s Guide and Questionnaire. BoardSource.
- Donovan, J.A. and V. Davila. (1997). 50 Ways to Motivate Your Board: A Guide for Nonprofit Executives. Donovan Management, Inc.
- Frantzreb, A.C. (1997). Not On This Board You Don’t: Making Your Trustees More Effective. Bonus Books, Inc.
- Lakey, B.M. (2000). Nonprofit Governance: Steering Your Organization with Authority and Accountability. American Society of Association Executives (ASAE).