|Geriatric Nursing |
Leadership Academy (GNLA)
“The GNLA experience was instrumental in actualizing my potential as a leader. With the supportive structured curriculum and intensive mentored experience, I garnered new skills, behaviors, and the confidence to expand my influence and to make an impact on improving outcomes for older adults.”
Karen Reynolds, DNP, CNS-BC, FGNLA
The GNLA gives nurses the skills and experience they need to make a critical difference in the lives of older adults. These new leaders are uniquely qualified to advocate for change that is based on an intimate understanding of patients' needs and the bedside impact of public policy.
Post-academy evaluations of GNLA Mentors and Fellows (2010-2011 cohort) show:
- 100% have moved into leadership positions within their organizations
- 67% created new policies and procedures
- 30% are engaged in new policy and advocacy work.
Since 2008, 28 GNLA Fellows positively impacted
- 6,841 patientnts and clients,
- 5,095 RNs,
- 977 LPNs/VNs,
- 1,380 direct-care workers,
- 377 nursing students,
- 6,444 interprofessional colleagues and
- 596 interprofessional students.
And 100% of the senior leaders at the Fellow's organizations felt that the benefits of the Fellow's leadership project outweighed the costs.
Organizations benefitted by:
- Increased market share
- Improved patient care and services
- Signficantly decreased lengths of stay, morbidity and mortality
- Reduced costs
- Increased staff retention
Presented in partnership with Hearst Foundations and Hill-Rom.