Working with Volunteers
Providing a positive environment in which your volunteers work and grow will result in volunteer and membership retention. When working with volunteers, it is important to keep the following in mind:
- Treat each volunteer as an equal, vital member of your team.
- Try to place volunteers in jobs that best suit their talents and expertise.
- Don’t make unrealistic demands on the volunteer’s time.
- Give positive feedback when appropriate.
- Encourage humor.
- Listen for excuses of why work isn’t done. It may be a way of saying “get me out of this job.” If that’s the case, try assigning that person a different task.
- Accept that each volunteer has a different reason for participating.