Respond to Vulnerable Populations
As STTI members and nurse leaders, we have the ability to address the needs of vulnerable populations across the life span and around the world. Each person may be vulnerable at some point in their lifetime, so we recognize the needs of these populations. The poor and underserved, mothers, children and the elderly are especially at risk. Many of our nursing students are vulnerable, as well. STTI, an official non-governmental organization (NGO) of the United Nations, supports the U.N.’s Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), which include reducing child deaths, improving maternal health, and combating HIV/AIDS, malaria and other major diseases. These goals lay the foundation for improving world health by 2015 and beyond.
Promote health and well-being for mothers and children
- Support the STTI Maternal-Child Health Nurse Leadership Academy
- Learn how nurses are contributing to the Millennium Development Goals and promote the STTI partnership with the United Nations
Respond to specific needs of elders
- Access STTI’s Center for Nursing Excellence in Long-Term Care™ and to help you provide individualized care to elderly patients
- Support the STTI Geriatric Nursing Leadership Academy
- Work with fellow chapter members to respond to the poor and underserved
- Acknowledge the vulnerability of students
- Identify students in need and lend your support
- Introduce STTI at new student orientations
- Work through your chapter to provide student scholarships and small grants
- Support the STTI Nurse Faculty Leadership Academy.