June 2011 - Archived Issue of Board Matters
Dear STTI members,
The international board of directors met for a face-to-face meeting 9-11 June 2011 in Indianapolis. The following reflects the decisions made, direction setting undertaken, and the information that was shared.
The board reviewed, edited and approved minutes of the May 17, 2011 board meeting by conference call. Chapter charters were approved for Kaplan University School of Nursing, Chicago, IL, Ramapo College of New Jersey, Mahwah, NJ, Thomas University, Thomasville, GA.
The board also approved the following motions:
- To accept a Global Values Statement for the honor society.
- To comply with bylaws requirement for delegate attendance by implementing a standard registration fee from chapters who do not send at least one delegate to biennial conventions starting in 2011.
- To provide a limited set of organizational benefits for honor societies in development, after those honor societies have elected a board of directors and completed at least one induction.
- To encourage convention delegates to solicit feedback from their chapter members regarding candidates for office prior to casting votes.
- To accept the strategic plan drafted for the International Academic Nursing Alliance.
- To affirm that the newly expanded regional coordinator structure will provide the opportunity for voices from all of our global regions to be heard.
- To implement year one of the Five-Year Strategic Plan for Language Expansion, including the translation of specific Honor Society documents into Spanish within the coming year.
- To accept a revised plan for future Leadership Conferences in a form similar to our traditional Chapter Leader Academies.
- To approve an additional recipient of the Nell J Watts Lifetime Achievement in Nursing Award, to be announced at the fall, 2011 biennial convention.
- To approve a new name for the Geriatric Nursing Award, to be announced at the fall, 2011 biennial convention.
- To approve two candidates for honorary society membership to be bestowed during the 2011 biennial convention.
- To approve and accept the FY 2012 proposed budget and commend the headquarters’ staff members on excellent stewardship.
Reviewed results of the Survey of Active and Non-active Members and considered implications for future planning.
Reports were received from the following committees, advisory councils and task forces:
- Board Leadership Development Committee
- Corporate Audit & Accountability Committee
- Governance Committee
- Leadership Succession Committee
- Regional Chapters Coordinating Committee
- Advisory Council on Policy
- International Academic Nursing Alliance
- Research & Scholarship Advisory Council
- Global Health Priorities Task Force
- Information Technology Task Force
- International Service Institute Task Force
- Languages Task Force
- UN Task Force
- 2011 International Nursing Research Congress Planning Task Force
- 2011 Biennial Convention Planning Task Force
Additionally, the board reviewed and responded to recommendations from representatives of the European Chapters and honor societies
Status reports were provided covering recent activities of the STTI subsidiaries; STTI Foundation for Nursing, STTI Building Corporation, and Nursing Knowledge International.
|Karen H. Morin, RN, DSN
||Suzanne S. Prevost|
|President, Honor Society of Nursing,
||President-Elect, Honor Society of Nursing |
|Sigma Theta Tau International
||Sigma Theta Tau International|
Return to the Board Matter Archives