February 2012 - Archived Issue of Board Matters
Dear STTI Members,
The International Board of Directors met on 16-18 February 2012 for a face-to-face conference at STTI Headquarters in Indianapolis to conduct the business of the society.
The following reflects the decisions made, direction setting undertaken, and the information that was shared.
The Board reviewed, edited and approved the minutes of the face-to-face Board of Directors meeting of 28 October 2011 and the minutes of the 2011 House of Delegates held in Grapevine, Texas; and the minutes of the 17 January 2012 Board of Directors video conference as submitted.
After serious deliberations by the International Board of Directors, and in accordance with the STTI International Bylaws, the Board approved a motion to increase the international membership fee by 7%, as determined by the Consumer Price Index (CPI), effective 1 July 2012. The last time the dues were increased was 2008. When adjustments are made to the international or chapter portion of the membership dues, STTI International Bylaws state that the increase cannot exceed the cumulative increase in the CPI since the last increase. The fee structure for members is set according to World Bank Classifications based on their country’s per capita income, designated as low, middle and high. Effective 1 July 2012, the international dues will be: High Income US 69.50; Middle Income US 27.80; Low Income US 13.90.
The following Board Committees and Task Forces are organizing and gave reports:
- Corporate Audit and Accountability Committee
- Resolutions Committee
- INDEN Task Force (International Network for Doctoral Education in Nursing)
- South Africa Pilot Task Force
- Strategic Partnership Task Force
Committees, Advisory Councils & Task Forces
Reports from the elected committees were presented by Board liaisons. Most appointed advisory councils and task forces are in the process of organizing, and Board liaisons reported on their progress.
- Governance Committee (elected)
- Leadership Succession Committee (elected)
- Regional Chapters Coordinating Committee (elected)
- International Academic Nursing Alliance Task Force
- Research & Scholarship Advisory Council
- United Nations and Global Health Advisory Council
- Clinical Partnership Task Force
- Globalization Task Force
- International Service Task Force
- Legacy Building Task Force
- Rising Star Advisory Panel
- Technology & Innovation Task Force
- 2012 International Nursing Research Congress Planning Task Force (Brisbane, Australia)
- 2013 International Nursing Reasearch Congress Planning Task Force (Prague, Czechoslovakia)
- 2013 Biennial Convention Planning Task Force (Indianapolis, Indiana, USA)
The President reviewed the Board Oversight Plan and considered implications for future planning. The purpose of the Board Oversight Plan is to identify board outcomes and biennial priorities based on expert thinking, member feedback, vision, mission, strategic priorities, the presidential call to action, data and other environmental resources.
A new membership retention campaign initiative was announced and will be launched by June 2012.
As part of orientation for the Board, Connie Curran, EdD, RN, FAAN, CEO of Best on Board, gave a presentation to the Board entitled “Taking Your Place at the Table.”
The CEO presented highlights from the Organizational Operational Performance Report, and evaluation feedback about the Convention. After discussion, the Board made suggestions for improving the convention experience which were passed on to the appropriate STTI staff for review.
Status reports were provided covering recent activities of the STTI subsidiaries; STTI Foundation for Nursing, STTI Building Corporation, and Nursing Knowledge International and Publications.
Dates of the Leadership Forum are Thursday-Saturday, 20-22 September 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.
|Suzanne S. Prevost
||Connie Sobon-Sensor |
|President, Honor Society of Nursing,
||Secretary, Honor Society of Nursing, |
|Sigma Theta Tau International|
|Sigma Theta Tau International |
Return to the Board Matter Archives