There is a growing consensus that mentoring programs make a difference in the health and vitality of an organization. Literature pertaining to nurse mentors suggests that a mentoring program benefits all parties involved--mentor, mentee, the organization and the nursing profession as a whole.
Establishing a Mentoring Program
The following strategies can serve as a framework to create new member and/or chapter officer mentoring programs that best serve your chapter's needs and long-term goals.
- Conduct a needs assessment initiated by the board
- Convene a mentoring committee to and coordinate the mentoring program
- Select a mentoring champion to oversee the mentoring committee
- Create a mentoring program plan that defines
- Design mentoring activities
- Plan mentor recognition
- Evaluate the mentoring program
- Chapter Leadership and Mentoring Task Force Mentoring Statement and bibliography
- Online resources