Acting on the hallmarks of diversity
Title of policy/position statement:
Issue being addressed:
Community building for global health by acting on the hallmarks of diversity.
Background of issue:
Community Through Diversity: Appreciating the role diversity plays in creating community requires respect and responsibility. Diversity creates an opportunity to support a mosaic of cultural distinctiveness and nursing excellence through inclusivity, personal and professional development and the stimulation to think in different ways.
The Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International's vision is to create a global community of nurses who lead in using scholarship, knowledge and technology to improve the health of the world's people.
Creating and sustaining a leadership community of nurses requires appreciation, active engagement and respect for the complexity and richness that exists in local and global contexts. Diversity is a means to provide different perspectives in support of STTI's vision, mission and goals, to foster creativity, build community and promote excellence in nursing practice, education and research.
Policy or position developed, recommended, adopted: Hallmarks of diversity:
STTI is committed to the value and active engagement of diversity in achieving the honor society's vision of a global community of nursing leaders. To provide evidence of societal commitment to build community through diversity, the following principles and practices are encouraged throughout the organization.
- Encourage ongoing dialogue and learning in the area of the richness of diversity and its contributions to building community.
- Develop and value the organization's definition, policies and procedures related to diversity.
- Support and encourage chapters to reflect the richness and diversity of their local and global communities.
- Encourage chapters and members to find ways to enhance diversity and build community.
- Stimulate dialogue to learn about cultural criteria for excellence, educational distinction, and ways and means to honor achievements in nursing practice, education research and community leadership.
- Respect the richness and diversity of traditions and heritage as STTI creates and designs future plans and programs.
- Seek diversity in nominations, and appointments to committees, task forces, and key policy and leadership positions.
- Build a culturally diverse cadre of leaders, officers, board members and staff.
- Create and use advisory groups to inform and advise the leaders of the organization regarding diversity as a means to create and support a global community of nurse leaders.
- Develop and promote educational programs that inform and educate members on issues of diversity, cultural competence and community building.
Resources/references germane to issue and position:
- Global Diversity Task Force. (1999). Report and Recommendations on Global Diversity. STTI.
- Wilson, A. H., Sanner S. J., & McAllister, L. E. (2003). Diversity Resource Paper.
Approval date and by whom statement:
Approved June 2002, Sigma Theta Tau International Board of Directors.
Statement granting permission to reproduce with acknowledgement/reference information:
All rights reserved. With the reception of fair dealing for the purposes of research or private study, or criticism or review, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior permission in writing from the copyright holder. Authorization to photocopy items for internal and personal use is granted by the copyright holder for libraries and other users of the Copyright Clearance Center (CCC), 222 Rosewood Drive, Danvers, MA 01923, USA (www.copyright.com), provided the appropriate fee is paid directly to the CCC. This consent does not extend to other kinds of copying, such as copying for general distribution for advertising or promotional purposes, for creating new collective works or for resale.
For all other permissions inquiries, including requests to republish material in another work, please contact Sigma Theta Tau International, 550 W. North Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204. Source must be credited with the following text: Reprinted with permission from the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International.
Copyright statement: Copyright 2005, Sigma Theta Tau International. All rights reserved worldwide.
Sigma Theta Tau International mission statement:
The mission of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International, is advancing world health and celebrating nursing excellence in scholarship, leadership, and service.