We are not currently taking applications for this program. Applications for our next cohort will begin in 2017. If you would like to receive a notification when we begin taking applications, please complete the ILI Academies Interest Form.
Academy Purpose and Overview
The purpose of the Maternal-Child Health Nurse Leadership Academy (MCHNLA), presented in partnership with Johnson & Johnson, is to develop the leadership skills of maternal-child health nurses and nurse midwives who work in a variety of healthcare settings across North America. The academy prepares these nurses for effective interprofessional team leadership as they strive to improve the quality of healthcare for underserved childbearing women and children up to 5 years old.
See what participants are saying about this program.
The leadership skills component of the academy is based on the research and teachings of Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner, as described in The Leadership Challenge®. Their model proposes that leadership is a measurable, learnable, and teachable set of behaviors. The academy believes that these behaviors are learned best when applied to realistic settings. The academy is designed to operationalize these learned behaviors by assisting and supporting the fellow in developing and implementing an interdisciplinary team project.
Nurses and nurse midwives accepted into the program will:
- Select a Leadership Mentor who will guide them through their leadership development over the approximately18-month period
- Maintain collegial relationship with academy triad (Fellow, Leadership Mentor and Faculty Advisor)
- Attend two intensive workshops with their chosen Leadership Mentor
- Workshop I
- 12–14 April 2016 – Indianapolis, IN
- Workshop II
- 3–6 April 2017 – Indianapolis, IN
- Design an individualized leadership development plan with guidance from their Leadership Mentor and Faculty Advisor (assigned by STTI)
- Implement and manage an interdisciplinary team leadership project that results in practice outcomes for underserved childbearing women and children up to 5 years old and aligns with the mission and vision of the Fellow’s association/organization/institution (A/O/I).
- Facilitate two in-person site visits with triad
- Attend academy celebration activities at STTI's Biennial Convention -- 28 October – 1 November 2017, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Presented in Partnership with Johnson & Johnson Corporate Contributions.