We are not currently taking applications for this program. Applications for our next cohort will begin in 2017. If you would like receive a notification when we begin taking applications, please complete the ILI Academies Interest Form.
Academy Purpose and Overview
The Sigma Theta Tau International Nurse Faculty Leadership Academy (NFLA), presented in partnership with The Elsevier Foundation, is an intense international leadership development experience designed to:
- Facilitate personal leadership development
- Foster academic career success
- Promote nurse faculty retention and satisfaction
- Cultivate high performing, supportive work environments in academe
See what participants are saying about this academy.
The NFLA is designed for aspiring leaders in nursing education who have at least two years, but no more than seven years of experience as full-time, non-tenured faculty in a school of nursing. Scholars in the academy are chosen through a competitive selection process.
The academy curriculum includes a variety of educational strategies for developing leadership behaviors which result in positive outcomes. The 20-month leadership development curriculum is built upon the foundation of three domains:
- Individual leadership development
- Leading a team project to advance nursing education
- Expanded scope of influence within the academic institutions, the community, and the profession
The Scholar applicant must choose a Leadership Mentor prior to the application and selection process. Leadership Mentors should not be from the same institution as the Scholar, nor have served on the Scholar’s dissertation committee. Leadership Mentors may hold doctoral degrees from disciplines other than nursing.
The NFLA Experience Scholars selected for the NFLA III cohort will:
- Attend and actively participate in two intensive, four-day leadership development workshops with the chosen Leadership Mentor.
- Build relationships and communicate regularly with the chosen Leadership Mentor and assigned Faculty Advisor (triad).
- Commit to the NFLA triad as the platform for leadership development and use the triad relationships as the foundation to meet the expectations of the NFLA.
- Conduct an in-depth leadership self-assessment, and based upon assessment findings, design an individualized leadership development plan with guidance from the Leadership Mentor and Faculty Advisor.
- Plan, design, and facilitate two site visits at the Scholar's organization, focusing upon the leadership development experience.
- Lead a team project that advances nursing education. The design, implementation, and evaluation of the project through a team approach will contribute to the Scholar’s leadership development and the organization’s educational program(s).
- Participate in monthly Scholar Community learning activities, which are led by Faculty Advisors.
- Document the leadership development experience via personal journaling.
- Present a professional poster and attend NFLA celebration activities at STTI’s 2017 Biennial Convention in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.
Presented in partnership with The Elsevier Foundation.
Sigma Theta Tau International is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.